100 most influential

Falling Man, Richard Drew, 2001

The photographer, Richard Drew, took a picture of this man on 9/11. The man in the picture was sadly one of the victims trapped in the building and instead of dying in there he chose to die on his own terms by jumping. I chose this picture because I feel like in this situation I would’ve done the same. Also I kind of feel bad for the man in the picture being photographed like this but as a photographer it was a very good opportunity for a powerful picture to be taken.

V-J Day In Times Square, Alfred Eisenstaedt, 1945

Photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt took this picture when everyone was celebrating the end of WW2. The moment was taken when a sailor grabbed this nurse and kissed her. The reason why I chose this picture is because I noticed in it’s description that it did not mention that it was nonconsensual. The women was mad at the sailor, rightfully so, and she quickly pushed him off but it did not say that when describing the picture only that it was a momentous picture that will be treasured.  I wouldn’t have chose it if it had described what really happened that day because I don’t like the picture after learning the backstory of it.

Emmett Till, David Jackson, 1955

David Jackson took this photo of a young boy, Emmett Till, being watched over by this grieving parents. Emmett was only 14 years old when he was beaten and mutilated by two white men for supposedly talking to a white women. During his funeral it was an open casket. His mother chose it to be that way so everyone knew what the men did to her son. This boy’s death sparked an uprising in the Civil Rights movement. The reason I chose this picture is because when I was first saw it I thought it was a deceased old man being mourned over. I didn’t like the picture because it made me sad and I also didn’t bother to read the description. However in history class we learned about Emmett Till and we saw a picture of him and looking back at the list of 100 pictures I recognized his mom. I think it’s a weird but cool turn of events that I didn’t know this picture and now I know the whole story of this picture.